We can be proud that neighbors in our area have pulled together to help each other after our recent floods. Now, it’s time to pull together again as we try to rebuild lives and homes. On behalf of Southern Tier Home Builders & Remodelers Association, we’d like to warn you about another potential disaster: unscrupulous contractors.
Beware Of These Warning Signs:
- You’re told that on this job, a contract “won’t be necessary.”
- You’re asked to pay for the entire job “up front”—or pay cash to a salesperson instead of a check or money order to a company.
- You are confronted with scare tactics.
- You’re told you’ve been “chosen” as a demonstration project at a special, low price.
- You’re told a low price is good only if you sign a contract today.
The contractor won’t give you references—or the references can’t be located.
You can’t verify the contractor’s business address.
Need Help Finding A Contractor?
If a contractor you feel is not being upfront has contacted you, please contact Southern Tier Home Builders & Remodelers Association for a list of reliable contractors. They can be reached at www.sthbra.com or 607-785-9285.
No one could stop these floods—but a fly-by-night contractor is one disaster you can prevent.