With winter finally leaving and warmer weather on the way, it’s time to tackle all that spring cleaning! It can be a lengthy process but it’s important that you don’t miss these often overlooked steps.
Winter can be rough on the exterior of your home. So you should start on the exterior before the spring rains cause more problems.
- Clean out the gutters of any debris leftover from the winter storms and check to make sure your gutters are still securely fastened.
- Clear away all the debris from your exterior drains. This will allow the heavy spring rains to properly flow and prevent back ups.
- Check your windows for any cracking or splitting from the caulk. If so, clean off the mildew and replace the caulk.
- The warming weather will inevitably lead to outdoor entertaining, so don’t forget to clean off your patio furniture using a mild soap and warm water. Gently scrub away any dirt that has collected over the winter. If you have wrought iron and rust has started forming, gently sand it off.
Now, wipe off your shoes and head inside.
- Unplug your refrigerator, slide it away from the wall and vacuum the dust that has accumulated on the condenser coils. This task may seem small, but can greatly extend the life of your refrigerator
- Vacuum out the dust that is sticking to your air vents. After the vents are clear of dust, apply a thin layer of car wax on all surfaces of the vent to prevent dust from sticking and to allow for easier airflow.
Call in the Pros
There are still a few things left that should be done by professionals.
- Have a contractor inspect your roof for any missing, warped or loose shingles and check for loose seals on your skylights.
- Before the weather warms up too much, have your HVAC system inspected by a qualified technician and, if needed, replace your filters.
Now that you’ve checked these jobs off your list, you can start enjoying the spring!