With careful planning, modern home designs are within reach. One common approach is to use light and dark color combinations throughout your home, from paint colors to light and dark wood choices (usually on cabinets or floors), furniture, and even carpets or other décor items. If you’re interested in creating a fresh look for your home, consider the following approaches to using dark and light hues to modernize your living spaces.
Dark bold pieces or accents give any space depth and a traditional feel. For example, painting walls with dark colors allow art and other objects to stand out. Generally, dark colors like black thrive when paired with neutral tones. When together, it can create a more inviting and comfortable space. Having darker colors in homes is elegant, moody, chic, and sophisticated; most importantly, they always stay in style.
Adding white or light-colored furniture can make a room look more spacious, open, and airy. Painting walls or cabinets white allow for a blank palette to start a space with, which can then be the base for creativity to begin and shine through. Using white as a base gives leniency to play with other colors to stand out.
Combining Dark and Light Hues
Combining dark and light colors can also create an appealing space with a sense of organization and order by following the 80/20 rule. According to the American Institute of Interior Design, “As long as 80% of your interior is unified by the same style, period, or philosophy, you can deviate with the other 20%.” This rule makes it easy to combine colors.
One way to bring more life to a space is by using different patterns, textures and even adding greenery. Combining dark and light colors creates a contrasting design and allows for substantial flexibility for accessorizing or accenting with a mix of colors to tell a story.
There is no answer to which design (dark or light) is better. Depending on how a room is styled, a dark or light choice can be one of the most simple, classic, and influential ways to design any interior, while the use of both shades can create a clear, powerful, and modern design.
For more information about hiring professional members, contact Southern Tier Home Builders & Remodelers Association.